I gave a paper on this at the Social Media and Cultural Communication
conference on 29 February. Basically the argument was that given:
* the principles of informal learning, constructivism and social media match very closely,
* museum visitors use these tools,
* visitors want to have more two-way interactions with museums, and
* the physical and on-line experiences are very closely linked, then
* why hasn't social media been taken up in greater numbers by museums??
My paper is attached to this post